Tuesday 22 July 2014

July applique block


Next week is going to be a bit manic with a party, a holiday and preparation for my parent's visit. I've spent two days sewing and have managed to cut all my fabric for the Summer Breeze quilt. I blogged about this here. An amazing amount of fabric for the queen size quilt has been reduced to various sized squares and rectangles and piecing has begun.




The pieces are all packed away for a couple of weeks and this afternoon I managed to finish the July block for the English Country Garden appliqué BOM. I had been waiting for some Heat n'Bond Featherlite as the flowers were much more intricate for this block and I did not feel I could manage needle turn appliqué. The background for the block was flying geese. I machine appliquéd the leaves, hand appliquéd the flower stem and crazy stippled the flowers. I thought that even a simple machine edging would make the individual florets look too heavy so just caught down most of the flowers with an uneven stipple. I'm pleased with how it turned out even if it is not as the experts would do it.


These are the four blocks I have completed.


The backgrounds all look slightly different in tone because of the lighting conditions when they were taken. I think it will be really pretty when I've finished and will probably have it in the conservatory during the winter to remind me of gorgeous spring and summer flowers. If you fancy having a go (and it's not too difficult) take a look at Kerry's blog. It has been really nice to have a small project like this which has a choice of techniques.

I also ordered a few fat quarters of Tanya Whelan's Barefoot Roses fabric and some perle thread from Cottonpatch. I think it may come in useful for making a rose block. I'm sure Kerry will include one (at least, I hope she does!)



Finally, I had a lovely card from Hugo and Vivi in the post today. I think Hugo may have added the bit on the left.


Tomorrow I intend to do some planning, a bit of ironing and shop for a few tops for Mike and a new dress for myself. Then I'll recover in the garden.

What great weather we are having. Enjoy the summer while it lasts. I'll be back in about 2 weeks.

Catherine
Sew Cute Tuesday
I'm linking up to SewCuteTuesday at Blossom Heart Quilts. There's so much great stuff there so take a look.




Also linking up to Building Blocks Tuesday at Quilter in the Closet

Quilter in the Closet

Linking up later in the month with PennyDog Patchwork


7 comments:

  1. Those flower blocks are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, those blocks are so, so gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these flower blocks so much. I love the fabrics you have chosen and they are worked so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These flower blocks are amazing. I love the colors you've chosen, and the backgrounds are really modern. Fabulous job. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your applique BOM blocks - the low volume background really draws out the flowers - beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh YUM, I love the applique on top of the piecework! Beautiful :-)
    Found you via Building Blocks Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your flower blocks are stunning! I hope the good weather keeps up :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every one I get and try to get back to you as soon as I can.