Monday 15 September 2014

A (very) quick finish!

It has been a frantic, busy week but very enjoyable all the same.

First, a finish, ta dah! Don't laugh, I know they are small but they are incredibly useful.

3 finger pincushions



I found this idea yesterday morning on Carolyn Forster's Quilt-On-The-Go blog. I made the three in less than an hour, super fast and super useful. 
I gave one each to my friends Jan and Gilly when we met up yesterday for a Crafternoon Tea in Ystradowen Village Hall. Lots of crafting, giggling and beautiful food- a really good afternoon. Monica has blogged about it here with lots of photos including one of me looking like a duck. Oh dear! I was trying to lean in to the group for the photo. The afternoon raised £1,045 for charity.

This week I have concentrated mainly on my knitting. I had an emergency text from my daughter Jenny to say that Isobel had outgrown last year's cardigans and could I get my knitting needles out again. I was happy to oblige and set off to buy some yarn from La Mercerie in the nearby market town of Cowbridge. It is a fab shop that stocks a wide variety of quality yarns. Jenny had sent a photo of a couple of Isobel's dresses and I chose Debbie Bliss Rialto as it was washable and also 100% merino wool so will be cosy in the winter.



I am using the cardigan pattern I blogged about here way back in March. 


The pattern is Alana Dakos' Playful stripes cardigan which I found on Ravelry. The back and sides are knitted on a circular needle in one piece as far as the underarm seam. The sleeves are knitted separately then all are knitted together from the yoke. I have made rapid progress over the last 3 evenings and I hope to get it finished this week.



Last Friday I went with Gina and Celia to Weston-super-Mare to visit the Weston Quilters Biennial Exhibition in the Winter Gardens. So many quilts on show of all types but these are a few I snapped.


It was good to see a beginners section too. Not everyone is expert and I know I am proud of my own work even if I am a novice. With that in mind I have decided to enter one of my quilts in a show! It may not win prizes but it will be a first step. The West Country Quilt Show is on the 13-15th November 2014 at the University of the West of England just outside Bristol. The entry form is on the website and it is £5 to enter a quilt. I'll be entering my Triangle quilt that I made for Vivi. I'm hoping one or two of my Honey Bee group will enter as well.

So, that was my week, how was yours?

I am linking up to Wool on Sundays for some yarn based eye candy.


and also to Sew Cute Tuesday.
Sew Cute Tuesday

Also, check out the 1001 post at A Quilting Readers Garden. She usually writes an Applique post of Tuesdays and she has a super celebration giveaway.
I'm off to get ready for a new course starting tomorrow. So, a new blade for my cutter and a new needle for my machine.

Have a great week,

Catherine


9 comments:

  1. so exciting you are going to enter your quilt in the show :-) I'm sure it will be well admired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those finger pin cushions look very handy and useful to have. The blue and white stripe cardigan is delightful and you are sure to do well with your quilt at the quilt show. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those finger pincushions are fun and that cardigan is growing beautifully. And I love your triangle quilt. I hope it wins a prize :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't get much better than crafting, giggles and delish food! Those lovely wools are perfect for those pretty dresses. Your finger pincushions are rather fun. You've got my vote for your triangle quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE those finger pincushions! Such a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those finger pin cushions are ever so practical, and cute too. I can see them making great stocking fillers for a few people I know. Love your wools. I need to get some knitting done myself, cooler days are slowly arriving and my boys will be needed some woolies to keep them warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The finger pincushions are adorable and those are some really pretty yarns. The cardigan is so lovely, it will look really great on her. Your triangle quilt will do great in the show too, you definitely have my vote :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Catherine, for the great links you directed us, too. Those finger pin cushions are cute and fast. I'm going to try one today. Such a sweetie is your granddaughter! Love what that quilter did with the half hexies in your upper left quilt show photo. Look forward to seeing your new project. I am a new follower. And thanks for the shout out about my Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love Debbie Bliss Rialto, and the colours you've chosen are gorgeous - perfect for autumn. Have only recently found your blog, and am enjoying reading through the posts. Caroline x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every one I get and try to get back to you as soon as I can.