Thursday 7 May 2015

Over the rainbow

I woke so early this morning that I was sitting up in bed drinking tea well before 7am. There had been some rain overnight but the sun came out and I spotted the most glorious rainbow. I grabbed my husband's phone quickly and took two photos; one through the bedroom window and the other through the study window to catch both ends of the rainbow. The photo does not do the colours justice but it was spectacular.


Such an uplifting start to the day.

My English Country Garden appliqué quilt was so near completion yesterday that I left everything in the kitchen overnight. I don't have a dedicated sewing room so use the kitchen table for my machine and the centre island for cutting fabric and assembling the blocks.  The top came together fairly quickly although the pieced cornerstones and flying geese meant there were lots of points to match along the way.

I hope you will not mind a few photos. I am really pleased with the finished top.





Mike is hiding behind the last photo!

I used fabrics from my stash for the flowers on pieced blocks using Lynette Anderson's range of fabrics called Bread and Butter. Some of the flowers are hand turned appliqué, some using fusible with machine appliqué. A few flowers are embellished with very simple embroidery mainly blanket stitch, chain stitch and a few French knots. I would love to improve my embroidery skills one day.
The border fabric is the new blender range called Bumbleberries from Lewis & Irene- they do a huge range of colours in this blender so I think it will become a favourite.

Thank you Kerry for giving up your time to design this lovely pattern. It has been a pleasure to work on it. Details of the pattern can be found by clicking the link in the side bar.

Also thank you to new visitors to my blog. I have really enjoyed your comments recently.

Catherine

I'll be linking up to Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? and TGIFF tomorrow (well, it is a finished top!) and Esther Aliu's WOW (Wips on Wednesday) next week with this post. All links are in the side bar. I know how much comments mean so please take a peek at these parties if you have the time and give some encouragement if you like what you see.

20 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful quilt - I particularly love the pansy. You've done such a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fantastic! Have you decided how you'll quilt it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The green fabric is really perfect with the appliqué blocks, just as I thought. Your top is gorgeous! And the diamonds add touches of light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt top is lovely featuring those gorgeous applique flowers. The border fabric sets each lovely block off perfectly. How lovely to be awakened to that gorgeous rainbow....my you live in a pretty part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful quilt! I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous quilt, well done! Your use of your kitchen sounds much better that the more conventional use!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely quilt, the flowers are set off really nicely by the low volume background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how the flowers come into the blocks from different directions -- very cool! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so nice to see these blocks in the finished quilt top after seeing them individually in the past. It's a very pretty quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never tire of a rainbow and it looks like you got plenty of sunshine after the rain. This quilt fits right in, its just shining! It's gorgeous and the colours are just perfect, what lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt top is gorgeous, don't mind a few photos at all! And lovely rainbow photos too - great getting both ends of it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a way to start the day with such a beautiful rainbow! I love your quilt top! A beauty. I love to see your quilt finished.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A rainbow is God's promise, isn't it? The flower quilt looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So very pretty! What a lot of hard work, but it paid off in a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful flower quilt, lovely work, pure eyecandy.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great top! It couldn't be any more like a garden, could it? Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful quilt garden! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful quilt top, I really love your background squares and how they really enchance your flowers. Great fabric choice for your sashings.
    Cheer's Jenny in NZ

    ReplyDelete
  19. This quilt is so lovely and it looks beautiful in your garden photos. Why don't you enter it in the festival of quilts? I can't believe I almost missed its tada post :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your quilt top looks so lovely laid out on the lawn in the sunshine. Beautiful work, well done! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every one I get and try to get back to you as soon as I can.