Sunday 10 May 2015

Casting on

     
I'm giving my sewing machine a rest after a busy week and getting on with my new project, a Wildflower Cardigan. The pattern is by my favourite designer at the moment, Alana Dakos. You may remember that I made the child sized version, the Wee Wildflower,  for Vivi last September. The link is to my photos and projects page on Ravelry.

I had to think long and hard about the sport weight yarn for this cardigan as I have been a bit disappointed with the Debbie Bliss brand I used for the Gnarled Oak cardi and the Bergere de France for the Entangled Vines. Both pilled badly although the Debbie Bliss looks OK if I use one of those velcro type brushes that remove lint. I don't think I should have to do that though when the yarn is so expensive.



I needed a harder wearing yarn that was not quite as soft. I searched the forums on Ravelry and found that an American yarn called Chickadee from Quince & Co was really popular. It is only stocked at one shop in London, Loop,  and they did not have quite enough yarn in the colour I wanted so I decided to take the plunge and order it from the US. There is a good selection of subtle colours but I liked this slightly sludgy green called Bosc. There was a notable difference in the price in America and the price here but this was all due to import tax and shipping costs. In the end there was only a couple of pounds in it. Why is yarn so cheap over there? I must say that the staff at Loop took my name and called me back a couple of weeks later when they had more in stock. I would definitely order from them next time as they have a beautiful selection of yarns and seem to have great customer service too.



So, how is it knitting up? I cast on for the back and have managed about 5" so far. The yarn is slightly harder but has excellent stitch definition and no sign of going fluffy. I would love to hear your recommendations for other DK or sport weight yarns. I really would like to support British yarns more. I would like more subtle tones and better value.


The other project on my needles is Lexie's silver and gold bunny girl. The link is to a pink and cream dressed version I did a few years back. I went into Hobbycraft in Cardiff for some odds and ends and found the ideal sparkly silver yarn in the reduced bin. It is Rico Creative Reflective print. This is a 4ply silver grey with a silver metallic thread running through it. Not my usual kind of yarn but ideal for the project. I "interpreted" the gold as a strong yellow. Hopefully she will be finished for the end of the month when Lexie and Sam are coming to stay for a few days.

Finally I need advice about storing fixed circular needles. Mine are like a rat's nest of tangled spagetti in this bag. There must be a better way.



I'm linking up to Janine's Wool on Sundays on her website Rainbow Hare Quilts. The regulars to the party are a lovely bunch and there is always some new project on the go. The button on the right takes you to the current Wool on Sundays.

Next week is going to be really busy with visits to Malvern for the quilt show and to Althorp for a tour of the house with Mike. I may not get much time to post anything but I'll be taking lots of photos while I am out and about for when I do.

Catherine

4 comments:

  1. Looks like my knitting bag that last shot! Would seem the time you invested in finding yarn for your cardy has paid off - such a pretty pattern too and absolutely love the colour. Can't see Lexie's bunny girl as not on Ravelry, maybe should be - but the dress is sweet and I can't resist a knitted toy. Hope you have a good week, sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, such a beautiful color of green! My suggestion for the round needle storage would be to try a 3-ring binder with clear page protectors. You could slide a sheet of paper into the page protector with the needle size written on it, and then slip the circular needles in it too. Then they would be contained, and you could flip through the binder to find the size you need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely colour green yarn and a bargain price too! Love the silver and yellow yarns and to see all when projects finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree it's annoying when yarn piles - especially if it's expensive and apparently a 'good' make. That's happening with my yellow cascade cardigan too. I've found drops yarns good but I've mostly used dk. Your new green yarn looks great knitted up. It's a lovely colour and the stitches are really even and nest. And I love the bunny girl. I'll look forward to seeing her finished :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every one I get and try to get back to you as soon as I can.