Thursday 5 June 2014

A couple of very small finishes

I'm off to Dublin this weekend for a reunion with nursing colleagues. We started our nurse training in 1973 at Withington Hospital, Manchester and in 1976 went our separate ways. I kept in touch with a few close friends from that time and last year we met for our 40 year reunion. Ros flew over from Dublin for that event and we thought we would go over to see her this year. A chance for a natter, some sight seeing, eating and drinking.

I've made the FPP butterfly block from last week into a mug rug as a gift for Ros. I hope she likes it.



It has been a funny kind of week and I did not have the time to get out all my quilting stuff so Vivi's triangle quilt is on hold until after Dublin. I decided to finish off my Rainbow Bower bird. This was from a workshop pattern from lovely Lucy at Attic24. I blogged about the workshop here. My workshop colour choices were very subdued. This time I had a go at a more colourful bird which I finished yesterday. The garden was looking very inviting so I let the bird fly! She landed among the Buff Beauty roses.


I also made a start on a crocheted bag from Lucy's pattern. This is made with chunky weight yarn and with a 4.5mm hook. I'm using Bergere de France Magic+ yarn. It is a 50/50 wool/acrylic mix, hard wearing and machine washable. I chose a cream, beige, brown, burnt orange, petrol and dark green. The pattern is very easy and hooks up quickly. I will use the bag for crochet WIPS I think.



I'm linking up to Wool on Sundays  and Needle and Thread Thursday!
My Quilt Infatuation


I'm off to pack my bags and count down until the weekend,


Catherine

9 comments:

  1. Love the mug rug and the quilting looks great on it. I love making mug rugs as presents. They are so quick to make up. The bird looks great amongst your roses.Enjoy your time in Dublin xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure she'll love the butterfly mat, it's gorgeous! And your little colourful crocheted bird is so pretty. Hope you have a wonderful weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love the mug rug!!! It is sure to make the recipient smile!! Enjoy your visit...old friends are certainly the best friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a pretty mug rug. Have a happy time in Dublin :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great time in Dublin. Your mug rug is a lovely gift I am sure that your friend will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your butterfly mug rug is gorgeous. Love the colours. That gorgeous crochet bird looks quite at home perched amongst the roses. Sounds as if you will have the best weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mug rug is really beautiful and I love your bird and ring. Hope you have a good time in Dublin :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how your butterfly mug rug turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the pretty mug rug and the bird looks lovely have a good time in Dublin :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every one I get and try to get back to you as soon as I can.