Wednesday 8 January 2014

New skill for 2014




I joined six other newbies last night on a beginners crochet course at Calon Yarns Craft Studios in Cardiff. The course is run by the owner, Lynne, who possibly has the best craft teaching technique I have come across. The shop is light, bright and comfy, with coffee and tea offered and the most wonderful selection of wools and crafty paraphernalia.

It turned out we had a wide variety of skills between us. After introductions, Lynne began with the basics of forming the foundation chain and over the course of two hours we attempted double crochet, half treble, treble and double treble stitches. For most of the time silence reigned as we concentrated on mastering the techniques. I soon found a comfortable way of holding the wool and keeping the tension right (once I had frogged my first tight chain!). I'm looking forward to the rest of the course immensely.


My first attempt at different crochet stitches
I thought that at this point I should look at the various projects on the go at the moment.

  • Hand quilting and binding my Sampler Quilt- ongoing
  • Classic meets Modern QAL.- fabrics ordered and the first Bears Paw block planned for the weekend
  • Key to My Heart quilt using a jellyroll of Road 15 by Sweetwater for Moda
  • Beginners machine patchwork course starting next week.
  • Practising my crochet and possibly attempting a simple corsage this week
  • Finishing 2 cardigans for my 10 month old granddaughter Isobel
My Ravelry name is CathP53 
I'm still trying to figure out how to place buttons on the blog but I will not let it beat me!
Have a great day!


2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging! You will enjoy it, I'm sure!

    Thanks for your sweet comment on my Key to My Heart quilt top. It's a fun pattern for a jelly roll quilt. I wish it were twice as big, but it will make the perfect crib-size quilt (or small lap quilt). Have fun!

    As a new blogger, you may want to change your current "no reply" status to be able to get reply emails to your comments in Blogger. If you Google "Blogger change no reply" you will get several different links and tutorials that can help you do that, if you would like to. Good luck on the learning curve. In no time, you will feel like a pro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I think I have changed the setting. Not sure how you knew but could I possible ask you to check again to see if everything is OK? I would really appreciate it. Thank you again.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every one I get and try to get back to you as soon as I can.