Sunday 12 January 2014

My favourite January thing!

I spent the morning preparing Seville oranges to make marmalade to Nigel Slater's recipe from 2009. I had a look at his 2013 recipes but I really wanted a more traditional light marmalade and I have used the 2009 version before. There is something really calming about cutting the peel up. Its all ready now to be cooked tomorrow.




My fabric choice for the Classic Meets Modern QAL














I'm really pleased with the fabrics I chose online from Cottonpatch.  They were pretty close to the colour palette I had used.  


  • Background: Robert Kaufman Kona Solid Snow
  • Solids:     Spectrum Plain Slate, Spectrum Plain Vintage Blue, Robert Kaufman Kona     Artichoke, Classic Blenders 83(dark grey), Wickerweave 11 (dark blue)
  • Patterned fabric: Tula Pink Fabric Salt Water: Sea Stripes, Aqua
  • Backing fabric: Annali, Scribble Lines, White on Light Grey.
The order was ready and I had plenty of time to choose the patterned fabric.  Staff in Cottonpatch are so pleasant and helpful too. It's a great place to browse the beautiful fabrics without being hurried. I had the great pleasure of meeting the winner of the Great British Sewing Bee, Ann Rowley, in the shop too. I recognised her when I went in but was too starstruck to say hello. However we both got to the till at the same time and she commented on my very bright stripy scarf. She said how beautiful the colours were and we chatted for a minute or two.

The first block chosen by Erin was the (Polar) Bears Paw. I spent the afternoon cutting and assembling the block. I was pleased with the result until I realised I had not allowed for the seam allowance when cutting out. 

What to do???? Should I leave it and make the same mistake in all the blocks?  I've emailed Erin to see what she thinks. Even so, for my first attempt at machine piecing it's not too bad, if I say so myself.

Erin got back to me and the seam allowance was included so alls well that ends well!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every one I get and try to get back to you as soon as I can.